Friday, August 8, 2008

Washington, DC, It Fits Me to a "T"

Before arriving in Charlottesville, we spent two nights in Alexandria, Virginia. This gave us a full day of Washington, DC, tourism. Our activities are documented in the photos below.

This is the lovely facade of the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. It is by far the best exterior of any of the Smithsonians.

Immediately after entering the museum, I found a complete skeleton of my all-time favorite dinosaur: the Stegosaurus. Anne Megan kindly snapped a photo of us together.


You may know Anne Megan is a great enthusiast of miniature horses. Luckily for her, we found a prehistoric miniature horse -- much smaller than those that exist today.


Sarah did an excellent impression of the ice-age Giant Irish Elk.


According to Anne Megan, Deborah Pulley once projectile vomited on one of these ancient elephants. Which one was it?

In case you weren't aware.

Early man "domesticates" the goat.


We didn't get a chance to enter the Capitol, but we got pretty close.

No, that's not Barack Obama standing next to me. He doesn't live there yet. But Anne Megan did appear about six inches taller than me in this picture. We had become very tired by this point in the day, which explains our sullen appearances.

Me, Anne Megan, and the Freud Monument. Er, the Washington Monument.

The brand new Newseum featured newspapers from all fifty states in the entry way. Oregon's representative was my own Eugene Register-Guard!

That's all for Washington, DC. Stay tuned for our first Charlottesville post and Puerto Rico.

8 comments:

Deborah said...

So, yeah, I don't have any recall of projectile vomiting anywhere in DC and I am curious as to how Megan might have come by that info as she is a few years younger than I.
It is great to see a post from danfarr. Keep it up, we love to know how things are going for you two. You are welcome to come to Rochester for any holiday or any excuse would do.

laurak said...

I would love to go to DC. Paul has already been for work, so he's not in any rush to go back since he already saw everything. I'm glad y'all had fun.
I wonder who did the vomiting or if that is one of Megan's tall tales.

binkyping said...

MY tall tales? Now where do you suppose that I get my "tall" tales from?

--AMD

Anonymous said...

Wait just one second, I think I am being dissed.
If you had ask for directions to Deborah's vomit stain I would have directed you to the right fore foot of the African elephant in the foyer. When we quickly ran out the front door, there was vomit from the knee down. I did not stay to accept credit for creating a projectile olympic vomiter.

Anonymous said...

He misremembers, methinks, it is the tall boney one, and we were looking at it from above and she did project uponst it!

Anonymous said...

When Deborah used the term "a few years younger" was that a numinous prayer or a misstatement like your Mom's last post?
My memory about that event is flawless.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, right. If a person can't remember that I wrote him 2 weeks ago about Jerry Long dying, how can he remember something from 40+ years ago?

Anonymous said...

It's called total recall by the elderly.