Sunday, July 19, 2009

San Francisco. I was born there.

Not really, but Sulu was. I just visited for Spring Break. Our friend Molly is a native San Franciscan (4th generation!), is the city's hugest fan, and SO AMIABLY invited several of her grad school friends to come visit over our holiday.

The five of us, Molly, Ellie, Mary, Evan, and I, flew west from D.C. on Virgin America, which I only mention because it was the BEST BEST BEST flying experience I've ever had. Check out their website, buy a ticket, and you'll never want to fly any other airline again. Here you can see Molly, Ellie, and Evan enjoying some of the in-flight amenities, such as the anything-you-could-ever-want-in-a-tv-computer-or-PDA seat back screens, and the moodlighting.
Molly's sister lives right in the tourist district of San Francisco, and let all five of us stay at her apartment for a few days. We had easy access to all the major sites, like the Presidio, which we enjoyed in spite of the very typical weather...

the old penny arcade...

and the sea lion docks.

We ate fine food.
And saw the Painted Ladies houses of Full House fame, a very important site for people of our generation!

Molly's parents were the EPITOME of hospitality. They cooked us fine meals and were so much fun to talk to.

AND, they let us stay at their vacation house in Sonoma. While there we met up with a friend of their family, who was recently named Winemaker of the Year by Wine Enthusiast Magazine, the first woman to ever receive the distinction. Driving into Sonoma we were thrilled to see that the entire city of Sonoma was in a frenzy about her accomplishment.
She showed us the most amazing time. We were expecting to just say hello, and then go in with the masses to the winetasting room. Oh no. She had set up a private room at the top of the chateau, filled with their six most expensive bottles of wine (we later found out) and mounds of gourmet cheese, crackers, and fruits. She sat with us for an hour and half talking about the winemaking process and about what makes a good wine. The most important lesson? If you like it, it's good.
Sonoma is also home to the 2009 HGTV Dream House, which, with some difficulty, we finally found. We peered in through the windows and were suitably impressed.

The way back to San Francisco gave us our best views yet of the Golden Gate Bridge.

It was a full and wonderfully fun week, with even more activity than I've been able to recount. Trillions and trillions of hugs and kisses to Molly's family for their warmth and welcoming!

4 comments:

Dad said...

Living the good life, I see.

Deborah said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip.

laurak said...

I've been wanting to visit San Fransisco, but I bet your vacation was better than mine will be.

Mom said...

I saw that you had pictures from SF on Facebook and I didn't know when you went. but now I vaguely remember you telling me. Hmmm, my mind is really leaving me.