Whew, luckily Ben had class early the next morning, so Evan and I just slept on his stoopidly-uncomfortable futon until about 10 or 11. When he got back, we hopped the subway down to Brooklyn again to see Joe one last time. Joe and Michael had been trying every pizza place in Brooklyn and wanted to take us to the one they'd decided was the best.
Brooklyn, in the daytime, in the neighborhood where this pizza joint is, is very lovely. I think if I lived in New York, I would rather LIVE in Brooklyn than Manhattan. It's much more chill. There are trees and considerably more views of the sky. There were many West Indian nannies pushing around bouncing babies, and I can understand why.
Well, this pizza place, which I also can't remember the name of, is on old Fulton Street right under the Brooklyn bridge. It also had a long line TO GET IN, canyabelieveit? But it wasn't so bad. The pizza was OKAY, but eh, I wouldn't wait in line again.

Like I said, we were right under the Brooklyn Bridge, and by now it was Monday so Joe and Ben both had school, so Evan and I decided to walk across the bridge to get back to Manhattan. While walking along with my camera in my hand some lovely elderly French ladies happening by asked if we'd like them to take our picture. You betcha!

Evan walking down the bridge, Manhattan ahead. FYI, if you're gonna walk to bridge, START in Brooklyn for the best views along the way.

Right on the other side of the bridge was this place. I just loved it. I'm all about turn-of-the-century immigrants (that's what I do with my Brazilian history, you know, actually). It also made me think. I had just read a book for my Colonial Spanish America class called
All Mankind Is One. That's exactly how New York made me feel. *teary eyes*

Then we rode up to Central Park. Every time we got on the subway, including this time of course, Evan kept singing, "You must take the A train to get to Sugar Hill way up in Harlem." And I'd giggle.
Oh, so here we are in Central Park. It was a gorgeous, really gorgeous, day.

BUT, after three days of sight-seeing, I really could not walk. I was in significant pain. And sleepy. So we went to the cafe in the middle of the park and had some coffee. Evan kept taking ugly pictures of me making weird faces while talking, so I took this one of him. Ha-ha!

Ben got out of class again, and came to meet us, or said, "Oh, hey, meet me on Park Avenue," which ended up being quite difficult to get to because the little trails in the middle of the park are so confusing. But look what we got to see along the way!!! Ugh, ugh, so beautiful!

We walked around Midtown a bit more until I proffered up my feet's final protest. So we rode back up Columbia way and ate at a yummy open-air Indian Restaurant where I crazy man came up to us and started singing, "Butter-fly-iiyiyiy-yiyiyi!" until the waiters yelled him out of the vecinity. But on the way back to Ben's place, the same guy back up to Evan and asked for a quarter, or alternately, "To trade your slick shit for this 'fro", to which Evan agreed, but we were unable to find a way to actually make it happy.
And that's pretty much the end of it. BUT, we'll be back in the New York City in mid-January along with my fellow Brazilianist and great pal MARY.
Halloween photos coming soon. Gotta go to class. C-ya!
5 comments:
I loved your trip of NYC. Fun commentary.
I'm curious about the Emigrant Industrial Bank. I thought emigrant spelled like that meant someone who was leaving a place and immigrant was someone who was arriving. Why would people leaving a place, leave their money behind in a bank? Can you explain that to me? Oh, by the way, you started spelling in portuguese when you spelled vicinity.
That's nice that you are looking for a reason that your PhD student spelled vicinity incorrectly. I figured it was just a typo since she was in a hurry. However, she is related to Dad and not everyone can spell as well as you, Mom. I'm pretty good though.
Meggy, I so enjoyed hearing about your trip to NYC and Puerto Rico. Thanks for sharing. I miss you.
I think the Emigrant Industrial Bank was probably aimed at immigrant factory workers. So why Emigrant? Perhaps because that's how they identified themselves, more as people who had left a place than people who had come to a place.
That's my romantic guess. It could just be a misspelling.
Also: vecinity: I can't even blame Portuguese... where vicinity is vizinhanca. But I can blame that durn old Spanish, vecinos!
I just assumed Portuguese was nearly the same as Spanish. Guess I assumed incorrectly. But Laura is probably right, it was just a typo. In fact, altho I knew it was wrong, I had to look it up. I wanted to spell it with an "a": vacinity, but that is totally incorrect and once I typed it, I knew it was wrong, too. Besides, I couldn't find it in the dictionary. Finally it dawned on me, vicinity. Voila! I wasn't trying to criticize, it's just the editor coming out in me.
Post a Comment